17-MAR-19: Created page for first attempt at the clip board database project
22-MAR-19: Added images of the sample room reservation database and removed the nav buttons on the right until I can find time to get the CSS to layout the buttons on top of content nicely with narrowerish screens
Materials and document links
Phase 1: Create room reservation database on clipboards!
Reverse engineering databases from query building forms
To master the fundamental concepts of database design, we must decouple the complexities of database software from the principles of data organization into tables related to one another with foreign keys. We'll use a novel approach of creating a database on a set of 6x9 clip boards which are tactile, portable, and highly representative of how computer software implements database principles.
Secure the following supplies:
- 4 - 6x9 Clipboards
- 3 - table design organizer sheets [pdf | editable open doc] (one for each clipboard)
- 3 - primary key flags (pink) and at least 4 foreign key flags (green) for each clipboard [pdf | editable open doc]
- 8 - small binder clips for attaching string to the clipboards
- 6 - lengths of string about 1-foot long each, for connecting tables through their keys
- 1 - database design organizer sheet [pdf | editable open doc]